Wednesday 15 February 2012

Day 2 - Did you believe me?

In my first post, there was a throw away reference to leaving my 3 year old in front of the television so I could get a coffee with the 6 month old down the road. How you read this depends on whether you have kids or not.

Those with no kids probably had one of three reactions:

- Glossed over the comment completely.
- Perhaps wondered what cartoon he was watching.
- Thought that this parenting lark sounds pretty easy.

Those with kids who make up the esteemed middle classes of New Zealand would react completely differently with the following chain of logic:

- Startled pause followed by an immediate assumption that Island Bay Dad must be joking in a brutal 2011 kind of ironic manner.
- Quickly followed by a nagging feeling that Island Bay Dad might not kidding.
- But again dismissing it because how could any father in Island Bay leave their three year old alone, maybe in Porirua...
- Finally, a guilty feeling for judging parents in Porirua based on their low economic status.

Such New Zealand middle class parenting angst. Makes me yearn for the days of the dopier and carefree days of life with no children.

Cafe update. Apparently middle class estrogen coven flock to the cafe everyday Wednesday morning. The kindly cafe owner suggested I avoid a certain time to avoid extreme cackling. I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment