Thursday 16 February 2012

Day 3 - Good weather is over-hyped

Its a beautiful relatively windless day in Island Bay. Emphasis on the "relatively". Those who live on the South Coast of Wellington will know what I mean.


Its the kind of day which should inspire one to thrust oneself to the park, beach or suitably natural location. Not me. Partly, this is because I am waiting for the 6 month old to wake up from her nap. Mostly its because I have a weird urge to rebel against good weather and remain inside. This is Wellington syndrome. What on earth is driving this? Time for one of my lists:


- I have an inherent suspicion of any outdoorsy type who proclaims everyone should be outside on nice days.  


- It doesn't get any better than eating a chip butty and watching Antiques Roadshow (for those of you who don't know, a chip butty is a sandwich made from lashing of butter, freshly cooked chips, or fries if you are of the American persuasion, and tomato sauce).


- Due to my porcelain, some might say, pasty skin tones, outdoors equals ludicrous amounts of sunscreen which is irritating to apply.


- Wellington averages 3.5 nice days per year so I wouldn't know what to do with myself anyway.


All of this is symptomatic of everything in life being, what my dear wife labels, "over-hyped". Even good weather is over-hyped. Like any self-respecting X generation product, I blame my baby-boomer parents. It could also be that I am a sloth, but I am not self aware enough yet to determine whether this could be a contributing factor.


In any case, as I watch the Antiques Roadshow, I can't help but think that the other staple indoor Wellington food on a nice day is marmite on toast (or vegemite if you are of poor palate). Top Gear is now on. An excellent TV show to feed a baby to.

No comments:

Post a Comment