Tuesday 6 March 2012

Day 16.5 - Builder mates

For those of you that read this self indulgent drivel (to quote Wayne of Invercargill fame) you might have noticed I have two friends of which I attach "the builder" label. Curious. I don't refer to my other friends according to their vocation. Probably because Hamish the senior economist just doesn't sound as cool.  

Having mates that are builders allows pasty DIY challenged blokes like myself, and indeed, and Hamish the senior economist, to bask in the glow of a bloke who can easily build a retaining wall. I couldn't build a retaining wall. I could certainly draft a 13 page memo on the benefits and detriments of building a retaining wall. Hamish the senior economist (still doesn't sound that cool) could then do some economic modelling. But of course, this is of little use.

So the builder friend becomes vital. If I did intend to build a retaining wall, I would immediately consult either Nigel the builder or Dave the builder. After they finished laughing at me, they might find it in their hearts to explain how it might be achieved. This allows me at least two months of planning and a sweet delusion that I might actually build the thing. I won't.

Bloody useful are builder mates. But don't try and out drink them. You will lose, badly. 


1 comment:

  1. In hammer and nails I trust if that doesn't work glue and putty must.

    ReplyDelete